Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 14th Reading


Again, in my usual fashion I would like to comment on my favourite short story for this week; Greg Bear's "Schrodinger's Plague".
This story was a fantastic read and Bear's writing style and technique are wonderful. Having this story be in the form of conversations that then fade into the reading of a journal made the story very effective. I was sucked into the story so much that I don't think I even blinked when reading it (ha ha).

People are constantly obsessed with how the world was created, and as we all know there are constant debates between the religious and scientific views and beliefs. This story shows just how far people are willing to go to find the ultimate truth. However, I was left with the impression that soon these people will find out the truth of the world because in a few days they will meet their maker and can ask him themselves. People are obsessed with seeing things before feeling like they know for sure, there is no faith or belief left, everything has to be proven. Ultimately, this constant crave for truth and knowledge, as proven in this story, will be the downfall of mankind.

No comments: