Sunday, March 30, 2008

Brown Girl in the Ring - Nalo Hopkinson


Hopkinson's Brown Girl in the Ring was an AWESOME read, it was beautifully set up and I just LOVED IT! I loved how the book was in third person omniscient, but each character speaks their own slang/language for themselves. The protagonist, Ti-Jeanne, is such a sympathetic and interesting character right from the very beginning. I really like underdog stories, they really capture my attention! Ti-Jeanne’s avoidance of Tony because she has a child from him that he doesn’t know about, Tony’s addictions and involvement in a gang are all problems that can be brought to anyone’s doorstep. Not fantasy problems of blue aliens entering your place of work or aliens asking an old woman to decide the fate of the earth, but common problems that can be dealt to anyone. She is such a troubled young girl in the beginning however I wish that there was more in the book about how Ti-Jeanne made her self discovery and over came her adversaries; her revelations were very sudden. So other than the fact that some of Ti-Jeanne’s character revelations being brief and somewhat unexplained this book was excellent!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I also loved this one Laura - esp. the fact that is was she who got the revenge at the end !

Anonymous said...

I really liked this novel! It was interesting and vivid and not something I wanted to put down.

I was glad in the end that Baby was going to get a name, her mother was free and Mami was going to improve Toronto through the Premier.

Anonymous said...

Are the interpersonal elements the only things of interest here? What role, then, do the sff elements play?