Sunday, March 30, 2008

Diane Glancy - Aunt Parnetta's Electric Blisters


Some stories can be told only in winter

This is not one of them

because the fridge is for Parnetta

where it's always winter...


This story is an excellent read and I really like the use of language; I really enjoyed the use of slang within this text... it actually kind of reminded me of some Newfoundland literature, making it somewhat easier for me to read: "dern't nothn' we dude ever work?". Newfie slag isn't that bad.. but there are some similarities.
Literature with slang such as this really makes me feel engaged within the story and it makes me feel as though I am a part of what I'm reading, making me understand the culture of which the story is set; even though being a part of this story one would definitely need an open mind and large imagination.

Does anyone else have any comments or anything to add about the use of language within this text?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you found the language helped you to engage better with this story. I wasn't able to get into this story as much and I wondered if it was in part to feeling distanced from the language.

Anonymous said...

I actually found that the language made it harder for me to get into the story.. it's interesting how different people's brains work in opposite ways.

Anonymous said...

Laura, do you find that characters who speak in dialect are more distant from you? Interesting, as you have said, but more "other"?